Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Manuscript Submissions: The Importance of Proofreading

I don't have time to blog; it's a proofreading day. Before submitting a final draft for potential publication, I read my manuscript several times to be certain its content is flawless. I don’t assume the publisher’s editor will fix my typos, poor grammar and incorrect facts. Professional editing is expensive. A publisher won’t accept a manuscript they think will cost them a fortune in repairs. Another tip about submitting manuscripts: avoid weird fonts, coloured paper and other gimmicks. They will only distract and annoy the editor. You want to make the reading of your manuscript as painless as possible for the editor. I've arranged for a crew to massage my editor's feet, play soothing music, and serve her wine while she reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment