Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Queen of Procrastination

Although we love to write, writers are the worst (or perhaps the best) when it comes to allowing ourselves to be distracted from it. When I’m in a good mood, I’m distracted by everything around me. When I’m in a bad mood, I’m distracted by everything inside me. I’ve learned to set a timer when I sit down to write. Knowing I have a deadline of an hour helps me stay focussed. The timer also reminds me to stop for a break during those wonderful spells of creativity when I become too focussed and forget to eat or sleep.

Favourite ways to distract myself:

  • Trying to toss my pen into the air and catch it using only my mouth
  • Searching for an environmentally friendly product that will remove ink from my face
  • Playing with the figurines scattered around my office
  • Gardening
  • Eating
  • Chasing bugs across my desk
  • Eating again
  • Exercising to compensate for all the eating
  • Reading, reading and more reading


I would be interested to hear what other writers do to distract themselves. Maybe I'll take a survey. In fact I'll do that right now! The new novel can wait a little longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment